These Patriotic Pie Bars are a delicious spin to one of my favorite go-to treats, Cherry Kuchen Bars. If you haven’t ever tried them, you are really missing out! You can’t go wrong with a rich buttery crust layered with a sweet cherry pie filling and then drizzled with a cream cheese glaze.
These Patriotic Pie Bars will be the hit at your 4th of July party or summer barbecue! I guarantee that not only will you not have any leftovers, but all your friends will ask for the recipe too.
With love from my kitchen to yours,
Patriotic Pie Bars
3/4 cup of butter, softened
1/4 cup of butter flavored shortening
2 cups of granulated sugar
3 eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp. of vanilla extract
3 cups of all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. of baking powder
1/2 tsp. of salt
1 (21 oz.) can of cherry pie filling
3/4 cup of blueberry pie filling
Pre-heat oven to 375° Fahrenheit
- In a medium-sized bowl cream the butter, shortening, and sugar together. Add one egg at a time and mix until yolk disappears. Mix in vanilla.
- In a small bowl mix the flour, baking powder, and salt together. Mix the dry ingredients into the butter mixture and mix until flour disappears.
- Evenly spread 2 cups of dough into an ungreased 15 x 10x 1 baking sheet. Place in oven and bake for 12 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven. Spread the cherry pie filling into a 1-inch strip at the bottom of the pan. Spoon a 1-inch strip of dough right above the cherry pie filling strip. Repeat the strips alternating between cherry pie filling and dough for a total of 6 strips.
- Place the blueberry pie filling in the left top corner just above the last dough strip. Make a 1/2-inch vertical border on the outer edge of the blueberries.
- Continue with the 1-inch strips of cherry pie filling and dough until you reach the edge of the pan. Return the pan back to the oven and bake for an additional 30- 35 minutes or until the top is a light golden brown.
- Cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Spread the glaze over the pie crust strips. Cool completely before cutting into bars.
Cream Cheese Glaze
1 oz. of cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup of powder sugar
1 tbsp. of milk
1/4 tsp. of vanilla
- Cream the cream cheese and powder sugar together. Add the milk and vanilla and mix until smooth and creamy. *If your glaze is too thick add 1/2 tbsp. milk at a time until it is the right consistency.
Here are a few other recipes you might enjoy.
Patriotic Pie Bars are a yummy twist on one of my favorite go-to recipes. They are the perfect treat for your 4th of July party or summer barbecue! Whenever I take them to a party I never have leftovers and always get asked for the recipe.