Mint Chocolate Cake Roll is what dreams are made of! At least my dreams are anyways. I am a sucker for a rich, moist, chocolate cake. I hate to admit it, but I think about chocolate cake daily and this Mint Chocolate Cake Roll is just as amazing as it sounds
This moist chocolate cake is first filled with a smooth mint chocolate ganache and then a fluffy mint chocolate mousse. The cake is rolled up and then covered in more mint chocolate ganache. It case you were wondering, it is the most amazing cake ever!
If you know me, you know that mint and chocolate are my favorites, especially around the holidays. You can make this cake a day ahead. In my opinion, it tastes even better the next day.
With love from my kitchen to yours,
Mint Chocolate Cake Roll
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
5 large eggs, room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
powder sugar, to aid in rolling the cake
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
1. Line a 18 x 13 inch rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray the parchment paper with cooking spray.
2. Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl.
3. In a large bowl, whip the eggs with an electric mixer on medium speed and gradually add the sugar and then the vanilla, about 1 minute. Continue to whip the mixture until very thick and voluminous, 4 to 8 minutes.
4. With the electric mixer still on, gradually add the flour mixture to the egg mixture.
5. Scrape the batter into the prepared baking sheet and spread it out in an even layer. Bake the cake until it feels firm and springs back when touched, 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Rotate the pan halfway through baking.
6. Remove the cake from the oven. Lay a clean dish towel (I found a tea towel works best) out on the counter and dust with powder sugar. Holding onto the parchment paper, carefully remove the cake from the hot pan.
7. Place the cake face side down on the dish towel. Gently peel the parchment paper off of the cake. Starting from the short end, roll the cake and dish towel snugly into a log. Let the cake cool completely. While the cake is cooling, make the mint chocolate ganache and mousse.
Mint Ganache and Mint Chocolate Mousse
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 (12 oz.) bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 tsp. of peppermint extract
3 cups of heavy whipping cream
6. Place the chocolate chips in a medium-sized bowl. In a small sauce pan, bring 1 cup of heavy cream to a simmer. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate chips and stir until smooth and creamy.
7. Stir in 2 tsp. of peppermint extract into the chocolate ganache. Pour 1 cup of the ganache into another bowl. Cover both bowls of ganache with plastic wrap. Set one bowl of ganache aside and place the other bowl in the fridge to chill for the chocolate mousse.
8. Pour 2 cups of heavy whipping cream and the remaining 1 tsp. of peppermint extract into the chilled bowl of ganache. Whip until the mousse forms stiff peaks.
1. Unroll the cooled cake and remove the towel. Spread a layer of chocolate ganache over the cake. Spread a layer of chocolate mousse over the top of the ganache. Gently roll the cake up and place seam side down on a platter. Spread the remaining ganache over the cake. Add a little chocolate mousse on top of cake to top it off.
3. Sprinkle crushed peppermint candy on top if so desired. Keep the cake chilled until ready to serve.
Here are a few other recipes you might enjoy.