My mom loves any food with a lemon flavor. So when I made this cake for the first time, I knew that if I shared some with her, it would quickly shoot me to top of the list on her favorite child list!
This cake is so moist and oh so delicious! It would be perfect for a bridal shower, baby shower, or any party that you wanted to impress your guests. It will show them how much you love them!
I have a lot of people in my life who I know would love this cake. I guess I better get to baking!
Until next time,
Makes 10 servings
2/3 cup of all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 large egg
3/4 cup of granulated sugar
1 tbsp. canola oil
1 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. lemon zest
6 large egg whites
1/4 cup of confectioner’s sugar
Filling and Topping
1 can of sweetened condensed milk
1 tbsp. lemon zest
1/3 cup of lemon juice
5 drops of yellow food coloring
1 cup of heavy whipping cream
2 tbsp. granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup of sweetened flaked coconut
1. To make the cake: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a jelly roll pan with parchment paper and set aside. In a small bowl, combine the baking powder, salt and flour. Set aside.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, with a electric mixer on high speed, beat the whole egg for 1 1/2 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Then slowly add 1/4 cup of the granulated sugar while still mixing. Continue to beat on medium-high speed, scraping down the sides of the bowl often for 2 minutes or until the mixture is creamy and pale in color. Beat in the oil, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
3. Wash and dry the beaters. In another medium-sized bowl, beat the egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining 1/2 cup of granulated sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
4. Fold in the egg white mixture into the lemon mixture. Then gently fold in the flour mixture.
5. Gently spread the batter evenly in the prepared jelly roll pan. Bake for 10 minutes or until the cake bounces back in the center when lightly touched.
6. Lightly sprinkle the confectioner’s sugar over 1 side of a clean dish towel. Immediately invert the cake onto the dish towel. Gently Peel the parchment paper away from the cake. Starting at the short end of the cake, roll the cake and towel up in jelly roll fashion. Transfer to a wire rack ,seam side down and cool completely.
7. To make the filling: In a medium bowl with an electric mixer, whip the whipping cream, vanilla extract, and granulated sugar until stiff peaks form. In another medium-sized bowl , stir the sweetened condensed milk, lemon zest, lemon juice, and food coloring. Gently fold in the whipped cream.
8. Unroll the cake. Spread half of the filling on the cake to within 1/2″ of the edges. Roll up the cake without the towel. Transfer the cake to a serving platter and spread the remaining filling over the outside of the cake. Sprinkle the coconut on the top. Carefully cover the cake and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours before serving.
This recipe was adapted from the Elegant Lemon Roll recipe in the Homestyle Family Favorites Annual Recipe/2009 cookbook